Pages

Thursday 27 August 2015

A Post Full of Self Pity

I'm not a negative person.  I don't get down in the dumps very often and i make it my mission to make as many people smile as possible each day.  Truly, how many times have you laughed at my stupidity, my naivety, or my quirky observations of life.  There is always method in my madness. So permit me to indulge in a little self pity because I've just had the worst holiday ever.  Don't take offence Glenda (sister), you kept me safe, fed, medicated and rested when what i wanted to do was jump up and down and say ...


I waited all year for the opportunity to take leave and go somewhere.  It was planned that last week our family would spend 4 nights in a luxury 5 star resort in Torquay on the coast.  Hubby started a new job the week before (unplanned but very happy event) so he couldn't go (Strike 1).  Tom wanted to stay home and look after Tilly and Dad (he did a good job) and so i changed plans and invited my sister Glenda.  Much excitement ensued including a few new items of clothing, new underwear (truly i needed them) and packing of yummy girl munchies (read chocolate), games, books and DVD's (Vikings).  My girlfriend, Kerrie, even dropped around a personalised care package with all the things i consider yummy.   I had printed maps of the waterfalls we would visit in the Otway National Park with the expectation that I'd really clock up some steps on my fitbit and my friends would gasp in wonder.

Well things didn't go according to plan.  I got sick with a bad dose of the flu and on arrival Sunday afternoon i was packed straight into bed (Strike 2).  A very nice bed it was but it was not what i had in mind.


Yes, the location was lovely.  No, i hadn't won Tatts, my friend's brother is a member of the time-share resort chain and when they have vacancies in the off-season they offer them for huge discounts to members and their guests.  I only paid $40 per night for a huge two bedroom apartment.  In reception i heard someone making a public booking for a one bedroom apartment at $395 a night.  Really!!!  Truly!!   Gulp!   So if there is any consolation it was that i hadn't paid a fortune.  Still...


Of course there was a tennis court, a day spa, indoor pool (given that its winter and bitterly cold), bistro for evening meals, buffet breakfast and a beautiful beach across the road for all to enjoy, EXCEPT ME!  See, I'm sulking!.  I made my way through flu tabs and tissues for several days until on Wednesday, fever running hot, we came home early but that is not where my disappointment ends.  I left my Fitbit on the sink in the bathroom and magically it cannot be found (Strike 3).  Since i cant see myself funding a replacement then i guess i am out of the club.

You would think that 3 strikes and I'd be out, wouldn't you.  Well no, the umpire decided to give me another shot and we had planned a trip home last weekend to gather with the family and move Mum and her belongings from her sold house in Leeton to newly purchased one in Narrandera.   This was a much anticipated and planned event and everyone was joining in, as only families can and despite it being hard work the opportunity to be together (and to meet my niece's new baby) was very much looked forward too.
So, as you would guess, i was too sick to go and Glenda went without me.


OK, i get the picture, I'M OUT!!!!

Of course, at work it's all a bit of a laugh.  Something always goes wrong when i have a holiday.  So, its been decided that i'm much better off staying at work.  Better luck next time.

Oh, for those who actually care, i went back to work Tuesday and i am feeling much better, thank you!  I might even consider a Flu Shot next year.

Thanks for Living In The Land of Oz

15 comments:

  1. I can't stand the phrase "It's not fair" but I think in this instance it is well and truly justified. You poor thing! I am glad you're feeling better but I only wish it had happened on day 2, not as you went back to work. :( Lots of chicken soup for you (its medicinal values continue to apply) and I hope that's it for you and flu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is rough, poor poppet. Perhaps a therapeutic sick day in bed this week end to consume all the goodies and watch all the DVDs? Sad face:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think anyone as ever called me a poppet. I feels really nice. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. Lynda, so sorry to hear that you got the flu on your break. One consolation though, you had your sister to look after you and not the menfolk ;-) Oh dear, where has your FitBit gone I wonder. I hope you can afford to replace it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Lynda! What a spoil sport Mr Flu is! It is still always a surprise to me how much of an impact having the flu has on daily life, let alone special times. I've been down with it for the third week running and am on my 2nd round of antibiotics. I hope it leaves you alone much quicker than that! Love and germ free hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's hard when you have such high expeditions of a holiday and they turn out the opposite to how you wanted. Having the flu is bad enough but on your week off away. Makes for a good comedy story but not much fun while you are going through it. Regards. Kathy A, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Thank goodness for the company of my sister. I managed to read a fantastic book by Jackie French - To Love a Sunburnt Country. I would recommend it to anyone.

      Delete
  6. Oh dear, what a shame you look forward to your holiday and having me time and then Mr Flu turns up. Lets hope you manage to have a good break a bit later on.
    Congrats on your mum selling her place, I seem to remember you were a bot concerned that it might not sell, did she get the place she wanted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she did. She got much less for her place than she wanted but the owners of the new one were present at the auction and knew what she got. Since they were holding theirs for her they came down in price. No biggie as we found a few things on inspection that needed to be done (they were farmers and there is a massive empty fuel tank under the drive that has to be removed and also a leak in the floor of en-suite which needs to be waterproofed) so there was always going to be some negotiation. Two of Mum's granddaughters married builders so it will all stay in the family and not cost too much. She is very happy but i still haven't seen it. Looking forward to going home sometime soon.

      Delete
  7. Oh no, thats it no more planned holidays for you. They can be spur of the moment kind of a thing.
    Well at least your feeling a bit better now so thats a plus.
    Great news about Robs job.
    How nice of Tom to stay and look after the fort.
    I think you were just meant to stay home and have a rest xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you know that there is no such thing as resting at home. There are too many projects on the go and of course, spring is coming and so lots of prep needed in the garden. Rob loves his new job. It is with a large company with lots of OH&S and programmed maintenance which is right up his alley. No more employers who run things on smell of oily rag and cut funds spent on safety. The money is not bad either. ;) I working on that mortgage to get it done.

      Delete
  8. oh that is just not on is it...we went on a 2 wk cruise in Feb and on Night 1 I fell in the cabin and hurt my knee so badly it had to have fluid drained off after a week...needless to say I couldn't walk far and only went ashore once in 5 ports, I feel your disappointment. Now it's time to plan a new holiday for us both :D
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too right Sue but it might be safer to have a Staycation.

      Delete
  9. Oh no, what bad luck! I think you deserve a bit of self-pity here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Lynda, what terrible things to happen on your holiday. Especially the flu. I know what that was like because it knocked me flat for seven days!

    I am glad to hear you are well again now, and still retain your sense of humour. You brighten our days with your witty comments.

    Yes maybe a staycation is a good idea lol!

    xTania

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I enjoy making connections with my readers. Hope you enjoyed your visit.